Wide leg pants are dominating runways, streets, and Instagram feeds. This dramatic, retro silhouette provides a refreshing change from the skinny jeans we’ve been wearing for over a decade. But nailing the styling can be tricky. Wide leg pants can easily overwhelm petite frames by drowning them in excessive fabric. The secret is all in the proportions. Choosing a fitted, cropped, or tucked-in top creates balance and defines your waist. Take styling cues from fashionistas and influencers on how to perfectly pair tops with wide leg pants. Their outfits demonstrate how a simple crop top and strappy sandals can make wide legs look effortlessly chic.
With so many ways to style this trend, it can be difficult to know where to begin. This comprehensive guide provides outfit ideas, styling tips from experts, and advice for different body types. Discover what necklines, fabrics, and lengths help elongate your frame. Learn how to pick shoes that visually lengthen legs and cinched accessories that accentuate your waist. See how fashion gurus style wide leg pants for the office, a night out, vacation and more. The options are endless!
In just a few simple steps you can go from looking bulky and overwhelmed in wide leg pants, to completely pulled together. This article will give you the fashion confidence to finally rock the wide leg trend. With the right know-how, you’ll be looking and feeling your absolute best. So keep reading to learn how to perfectly balance and style wide leg pants!
Tips on How to Style Wide Leg Pants
When styling wide leg pants outfits, aim to balance the volume in the legs with a more fitted top. Here are some flattering top options:
- Fitted tops like bodysuits, tanks, and blouses offset the loose silhouette with a streamlined top. Tuck tops in to define your waist.
- High-neck tanks have a slimming effect and look chic with wide leg pants. A high neckline elongates the look of your torso.
- Go for a casual look with slouchy t-shirts or tanks. Tie tanks in a knot for a laidback vibe. Distressed t-shirts also look cool and relaxed.
- Try halter tops and crop tops during warmer months to show some skin. A peek of midriff shifts the focus to your waist.
- Sweater tanks add cozy texture for fall and winter while still fitting close to the body. Tuck a cable knit tank into pants for a slimming effect.
- Feminine ruffle sleeve blouses add fluidity on top. Look for retro prints for a bohemian vibe.
- Bodysuits are ideal for a smooth, sleek look tucked into pants. Opt for sleeveless styles during summer.
- Have fun with graphic tees for an effortless, trendy vibe. Knot them or tuck them in. Oversized band tees work perfectly.
- Structured tops like blazers and moto jackets balance the volume. Try a silky bomber for night.
- Flowy peasant blouses in breezy fabrics provide an effortlessly chic contrast to the wide legs.
- Corset tops, bustiers or wrap tops cinch in your waistline for an hourglass shape.
Stylist Pro Tips on How to Wear Wide-Leg Pants
Here are some pro tips for mastering wide leg pants outfits:
- It’s all about proportions – offset the wide leg silhouette with a fitted top. Blouses, tanks, and slim tees prevent you from looking overwhelmed.
- A crisp, tailored blouse tucked in creates a polished, balanced look. Go for satin or silk for a luxurious vibe.
- Always tuck in your top – this defines your waist and prevents a shapeless, frumpy silhouette.
- Flaunt your figure and show some skin by pairing wide legs with a cropped top. This highlights your trim waist.
- Layer with blazers or jackets for a sharp, modern look. This adds shape and structure. Try a white moto jacket for summer.
- Define your shoulders – pair wide leg pants with tops that have shoulder pads or puff sleeves. This creates balance.
- Cinch your waist with belts, sashes or tie details on tops. Draw attention to your slimmest point.
- Monochrome outfits in the same color family streamline the look. Go for matching sets for a lean line.
- Stick to fitted tops in matte fabrics like jersey. Avoid boxy tops or slippery satin fabrics.
- Show off a colorful or statement bra under a blazer or transparent top. This adds a pop of color.
- Layer necklaces over high neck bodysuits and tanks to accentuate the collarbone and elongate the look.
Outfit Ideas to Wear with Wide Leg Pants
Here are some chic head-to-toe looks for wide leg pants outfits:
Weekend Brunch Outfits
- Wide leg pants with a cozy knit cardigan and casual slides for weekend errands
- Sophisticated wide leg pants with a wrap blouse and strappy heels for Sunday brunch
- Brunch outfit – wide leg pants with a feminine ruffle sleeve blouse and braided wedges
Daytime Casual Outfits
- Wide leg pants with a classic denim jacket and white sneakers for a cool, casual daytime look
- Run errands in wide leg pants with a graphic t-shirt tucked in and chunky Combat boots
- A relaxed weekend look with wide leg pants, an oversized band tee, and white slip-on Vans
- Sophisticated wide leg pants with a satin blouse tucked in and block heel pumps for the office
- Achieve a sexy secretary vibe with wide leg pants, a wrap top, and mary jane heels
- Add edge with wide leg pants, a bustier, and black ankle boots for a downtown art gallery opening
Night Out Outfits
- Date night outfit – wide leg pants with a silky cami sweater tank and pointy toe mules
- A chic summer outfit with wide leg pants, a flirty crop top, and flat sandals
- Girls night out – wide leg pants, cami top, and strappy heels
- Cocktail party ready in wide leg pants with a corset bodysuit and metallic heels
- Jet setting in wide leg pants with a button-down shirt and loafers
- Beach outfit – wide leg pants with a crochet crop top and slides
- City vacation outfit – wide leg pants, blazer, and flats for walking around
- Tropical getaway look with wide leg pants, a halter top, and wedge espadrilles
How to Choose the Right Top for Your Body Type
Consider your body type when selecting tops for wide leg pants.
- Apple shapes suit fitted tops like wrap styles or peplum to highlight the waist
- Pear shapes look great with slim-cut tanks, bodysuits, and crisp button-downs to balance curvy hips
- Hourglass figures can pull off crop tops, halters, and fitted tanks to show their shape
- Rectangle bodies look best in tops with feminine details like ruffles or off-the-shoulder styles
- Inverted triangle shapes suit strapless tops, bardot necklines, and asymmetry
- Petites should stick to streamlined, fitted tops with higher necklines to elongate
- Tall women balance wide legs with cropped tops and cinched details at the waist
- Plus sizes look amazing in curve-hugging or draped knit tops tucked into wide legs
The key is drawing the eye upwards through details like deep v-necks and shoulder accents. Create contrast between your narrowest point and the widest point of the pants.
Mix and Match: Build the Perfect Outfit
One of the best things about wide leg pants is their versatility. With unlimited combinations, you can create stylish head-to-toe looks. Here are some of my favorite ways to mix and match:
- Crop tops
- Tanks and camisoles
- Button-down shirts
- Corset tops
- Denim jackets
- Straight leg pants
- Wide leg pants
- Palazzo pants
- Ankle boots
- Knee-high boots
- Floppy hats
- Hoop earrings
- Lariat necklaces
- Stacked bracelets
- Tote bags
- Belt bags
Styling Tips for Petites
As a petite woman standing at 5’3 myself, I have plenty of firsthand experience styling wide leg pants! Here are my top tips:
- Seek out pants with shorter inseams. High-waters are very on trend!
- Tuck tops in to avoid overwhelimg your frame and looking boxy.
- Wear nude pointy pumps to visually elongate your legs.
- Cuff pants above the ankle when wearing flats or sneakers.
- Opt for cropped tops that hit right at your natural waist.
- Create contrast between your waist and the wide legs.
- Add structured jackets with shoulder pads for definition.
- Try paperbag waist styles to accentuate your waist.
- Monochromatic looks in similar tones streamline the silhouette.
Can you wear a wide-leg pant with a long top?
Yes, but be sure to tuck it in to define your waist. Avoid shapeless, oversized tops. Cropped tops or French tuck longer tops.
Can you wear a wide-leg pant with a crop top?
Absolutely! Cropped tops are perfect for showing off your waist. Go for strappy cami styles or structured corset tops.
Can you wear a wide-leg pant with a tucked-in top?
Tucking in tops is recommended to balance the wide leg silhouette and create definition at the waist. Front tuck or full tuck any fitted top.
Can you wear a wide-leg pant with a blazer?
A blazer is a great choice for achieving a polished, professional look with wide leg pants. Go for peak lapels and bold shoulders.
Can you wear a wide-leg pant with a sweater?
Yes, fitted sweaters like sweater tanks work nicely. Avoid baggy oversized sweaters. Opt for cropped, slim-cut, or turtleneck sweaters.
What shoes work best with wide leg pants?
Heels, wedges and chunky ankle boots elongate the legs. Pointed flats keep you steady. Sneakers add a casual vibe. Avoid calf-height boots that can cut you off.
What accessories go well with wide leg pants?
Big hoops, stacked bangles, and lariat necklaces complement the dramatic, retro vibe. Structured handbags balance the volume in the legs. Hats add polish.
What colors and prints work best?
Solids, monochrome, matching sets, and earth tones create long clean lines. Loud ’70s inspired prints and florals add flair. Avoid chopping yourself in half with horizontal stripes.
With the tips, ideas, and advice in this article, you can style wide leg pants outfits with confidence this season. Remember to balance the volume with slimmer fitted tops tucked in to define your waist. Have fun pairing this trend with crops, blouses, blazers and more! The wide leg pants trend opens up so many chic styling possibilities. With the right proportions and a little fashion know-how, you’ll be looking effortlessly stylish in wide leg pants in no time. What outfit will you try first? Let me know in the comments!